Luis Sepúlveda was born in Ovalle (Chile) on the 4th of October 1949. He was very young when he started actively taking part to the mass movement that would bring Salvador Allende the Presidency of Chile. After the 1973 coup, he was arrested and imprisoned in Temuco's prison; he was freed thanks to Amnesty International.
In 1977 he started to travel through Latin America and in 1980 he moved to Europe. He first lived in Hamburg, then in Laufenburg, then in Paris; he finally moved to Gijón, in Spain. In 1989, his novel The Old Man Who Read Love Stories, set into the Amazonian forest, became an international success, followed by many other novels and short stories that have been charming generations of readers and have been translated in 48 languages.
Not only did he receive many prizes in many different countries, but he was also awarded a honorary degree from the University of Toulouse and the University of Urbino and he is a Chevalier de l'ordre des Arts et Lettres (Knight of the order of Arts and Literature) of the French Republic.
- Il vecchio che leggeva romanzi d’amore (The Old Man Who Read Love Stories),
- Il mondo alla fine del mondo (The World at the End of the World),
- Un nome da torero (The Name of a Bullfighter),
- La frontiera scomparsa (The Lost Frontier),
- Patagonia Express (Patagonia Express),
- Storia di una gabbianella e del gatto che le insegnò a volare (The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly),
- Incontro d’amore in un paese in guerra (Desencuentros),
- Diario di un killer sentimentale (The Diary of a Sentimental Killer),
- Le rose di Atacama (Marginal Stories),
- Raccontare, resistere (Narrar es resistir) (written with Bruno Arpaia),
- L’ombra di quel che eravamo (La sombra de lo que fuimos),
- Ritratto di gruppo con assenza (Historias de aquí y de allá),
- Ultime notizie dal Sud (Últimas noticias del sur),
- Storia di un topo e del gatto che diventò suo amico (Historia de Max, de Mix y de Mex),
- Ingredienti per una vita di formidabili passioni (Escritura en tiempos de crisis. Articulos y reflexiones),
- Storia di una lumaca che scoprì l’importanza della lentezza (Historia de un caracol que descubrió la importancia de la lentitud),
- Un’idea di felicità (Una Idea de la Felicidad ) (written with Carlo Petrini),
- Trilogia dell'amicizia
- L’avventurosa storia dell’uzbeko muto (El uzbeko mudo y otras historias clandestinas)
All published by Edizioni Guanda